Friday, June 9, 2023

Pre-1830's Quilt

 I work in a quilt shop. I get to see so many beautiful quilts made by co-workers and customers. Sometimes my boss buys quilts from estate sales. This quilt came from one of those sales. It has been dated  from pre-1830's. It is around a 193 years old!  I was so surprised and touched when my boss gave me this quilt!  

I love all things old. And enjoy daydreaming about the life of the old things I collect. I have been thinking about this quilt since it was given to me. This quilt was made before the sewing machine was invented. It was invented in the 1860's. So the entire quilt is hand sewn. 

I believe the striped fabric was added to make the quilt a bit bigger to fit a bed. Notice the dark blue setting triangle. It's on the bottom left corner near the stripe fabric. I feel the maker ran out of fabric and used what she had on hand. I love that about it. 

I wonder how long it took for the maker to save up the scraps of fabric to make this quilt. The backing is a little worn and very used. There is a section where a long piece was used to cover up a well worn section of the quilt. 


I hope you enjoy seeing this old beauty as much as I enjoy owning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment