Friday, June 9, 2023

1860-1880 Grandmother's Flower Garden Framed Flower Picture

 I have a friend who owns a vintage shop inside the quilt shop where I work. My friend bought this picture for the frame from a resale shop. She knew I love English Paper Piecing and saw the Grandmother's Flower Garden flowers professionally mounted in the frame. I was so excited when she showed it to me.  I bought it from her shop instantly!

I consulted two people who are very knowledgeable in vintage fabrics. Both ladies dated these hexies at 1860-1880. I originally going to have it reframed and put a new mat behind it and a spacer put between the glass and the mounted hexies. The closer I looked, the hexies are glued to the mat as well as one is glued to the glass. They are too delicate to pull off the glass. I decided to keep it as it is and make my own tribute reproduction picture identical to this fabulous picture. I know I don't need to make another one, I want to make it to hang beside the old one. To have an old and a new one side by side. And I have never worked with 1/2" hexies before. Challenge accepted! 

I wish I knew it's story. Why someone would frame 1/2" hexies in this way. Could it have been someone's great great grandmother's handiwork they wanted to preserve?  I will never know, but I do know that I will treasure this piece. I hope my reproduction will honor the original maker. 






No comments:

Post a Comment